How do I know if I should have a genetic counselor?

You should seek out a genetic counselor if anyone has:

  • Been identified as being a “Fragile X premutation carrier” or have positive, inconclusive, or in any way unusual Fragile X  testing results. 
  • A family member who has been identified as being a premutation carrier of a Fragile X mutation
  • A child or family member diagnosed with Fragile X syndrome or any of the Fragile X-associated disorders
  • A family or personal history of undiagnosed intellectual disabilities, autism, or learning disorders
  • Symptoms of any of the Fragile X-associated disorders,  including infertility, early menopause, and/or adult-onset neurological or movement disorders).

Learn more about genetic counseling at: