When will I know that my child has autism?

If you are concerned that your child has autism, consult a developmental or general pediatrician, neurologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or other specialists, who will look at a child’s behavior and development to determine the diagnosis. The standard reference used to diagnose mental and behavioral conditions—including autism—is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). There are also cases where a child does not meet the diagnostic criteria for autism but will have autistic-like features. 

You can learn more about autism and Fragile X syndrome on our page, Fragile X and Autism.